Sm Mortgage Services



Before going ahead with a property purchase you may need to appoint a solicitor or conveyancer to act on your behalf. They will undertake the legal work required to ensure the ownership (title) of the property and land transfers successfully.

If you don’t already have a solicitor who undertakes conveyancing work, we can recommend one at a competitive price using a specialist company that provides access to a nationwide network of solicitors. Speak to one of our advisers to discuss your options.


Before giving you a mortgage, your lender will instruct a survey to confirm the price you’re paying for the property is appropriate. The most common types of survey are:

  • Basic mortgage valuation

This is for the lender’s own purposes to confirm the property provides security for the loan.

  • Homebuyer’s report

This provides brief information on the property’s condition. The report will include comments on the property’s defects and the valuer’s opinion as to its marketability.

  • Full structural survey

This report is the most comprehensive survey it is based on a detailed examination of the property.

Some lenders will offer to pay for the basic mortgage valuation as an incentive. You may also want to consider one of the more detailed surveys, depending on the age and condition of the property. In most cases you can use the same surveyor to carry out both surveys, but there’s nothing to stop you appointing an independent surveyor should you choose to do so. We can help you do this. Contact us today to discuss further.

Solicitors, valuers and surveyors are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.